click to enlarge
A rendering of the Physicians' Office Building at UNC Hospitals' Hillsborough Campus.
Expected to be complete by 2015, the facilities will include 50 acute care beds, an 18-bed intensive care unit, six operating rooms, two procedure rooms, an emergency department, and outpatient medical and surgical specialty services, including urgent care, imaging, and oncology.
UNC Hospitals' Hillsborough Campus is located on Waterstone Drive near Exit 261 off of I-40/I-85. The campus is across the street from the Durham Technical Community College's Orange Co. Campus.
"The Hillsborough campus is another part of our long-term strategy to move less complicated cases off our main hospital campus and streamline the services on campus to best treat patients with complex cases," said Dr. William L. Roper, UNC Health Care System CEO and Dean of the UNC School of Medicine, during his remarks at the ceremony.
"The second campus in Hillsborough will ease some of the space constraints we see in Chapel Hill," Dr. Roper said. "Moving services off our main hospital campus allows us to provide community-based hospital services in convenient, accessible locations and also will allow us to turn some of our semi-private patient rooms into private rooms, which we know provides a better patient experience."
The total project at UNC Hospitals' Hillsborough Campus will cost more than $200 million. Construction will last until 2015, when the new hospital opens. At that point the hospital and physicians' office building will employ approximately 500 people.
Joining Dr. Roper in the groundbreaking ceremony were:
- U.S. Congressman David Price (D-NC)
- Tom Stevens, Mayor of Hillsborough
- Margaret Cannell, Executive Director, Hillsborough Chamber of Commerce
- Margaret W. DeBolt, Partner, ZGF Architects
- Steve Stouthamer, Exec. VP, Skanska
UNC Hospitals' Hillsborough Campus timeline
- Phase I
- On April 20 UNC Health Care broke ground on the first phase of construction: a three-story physicians’ office building. The 60,000 square foot building will provide a patient-focused center of excellence in Hillsborough and provide convenient, cost-effective clinical care.
- While the physicians’ practices that will be located in this building have not yet been finalized, we do know that it will include a range of surgical and medical specialties, lab, imaging, and oncology.
- Site work for the physicians’ office building will begin in a few weeks and, in addition to constructing the building, will include parking, internal roads, sidewalks, site lighting and landscaping. We expect the building to be open to patients in spring of 2013.
- Phase II
- The second phase involves constructing the hospital.
- The hospital will be home to 68 beds (50 acute beds and 18 intensive care beds).
- The hospital will begin serving patients in 2015.