The event is a celebration of both the completion of medical school and their impending residency training.
Cheers went up through the crowd as, one by one, students fought through the standing room only crowd to make their way to the stage. After dropping a dollar into heavily decorated bed pan, the students received the envelope letting them know where they would conduct their residency.
Here’s what those blue envelopes revealed for the UNC School of Medicine class of 2016:
- 160 students matched
- 97 percent of eligible students matched
- Students matched into 19 different specialties
- The most popular specialties were internal medicine (24), emergency medicine (18), family medicine (18), and pediatrics (16)
- Students will complete their residencies in 28 states and Washington, D.C.
- 63 students will remain in North Carolina
After the event, students and their families gathered in the MBRB lobby for photos, celebration, and even a marriage proposal. She said yes!