UNC Hospitals Police will join this bi-annual campus initiative,
handing out fliers from 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., at crosswalks in front of
the Memorial, Women’s and Children’s Hospitals in an effort to spread
the message of pedestrian awareness to another busy area on campus.
Coordinated by the UNC Department of Public Safety and the UNC Highway Safety Research Center (HSRC), “Yield to Heels” focuses on three messages for drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists: Be aware, be considerate and be safe.
The Department of Public Safety offers the following safety tips to pedestrians:
- Be aware: Look across all lanes before crossing. Even though one vehicle has stopped, another may pass in another lane.
- Be safe: Don’t assume vehicles can stop. Gauge the flow of traffic before stepping out onto the road and wait if necessary.
- Be considerate: Establish eye contact with drivers before crossing.
The department also offers the following safety tips to drivers:
- Be aware: Before entering a crosswalk area, be prepared to stop if pedestrians are present.
- Be safe: Do not overtake and pass other vehicles stopped for pedestrians.
- Be considerate: Establish eye contact with pedestrians.