I am pleased to announce that the Center for Women’s Health Research (CWHR), under the leadership of Dr. Wendy Brewster, will provide a coordinative role between and among the many different aspects of research in women’s health and wellness that are currently under way throughout campus, and will work across departments and centers to define, develop and support new areas for research. Dr. Brewster will work closely with the Office of Research on Women’s Health (ORWH), Office of the Director, National Institutes of Health to ensure that the UNC School of Medicine becomes and remains a national leader in this extremely important area. Ms. Joyce Rudick, Director of Programs and Management for the ORWH will be the federal liaison to the Center.
In this role, Dr. Brewster and CWHR staff will be responsible for the following:
- Serving as the official UNC liaison to the Office of Research on Women’s Health (ORWH) at the NIH
- Advising the UNC Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development and staff on matters relating to research on women’s health and wellness
- Ensuring that women’s health research is an integral part of the framework and goals of the UNC research endeavor, and that priorities of the ORWH are incorporated into that framework
- Strengthening and enhancing research related to diseases, disorders and conditions that affect women only, women predominately, or women differently than men
- Serving as a focal point for NIH-funded research in women’s health at UNC
- Supporting existing/ongoing efforts to develop research opportunities for, and support the recruitment, re-entry, retention and advancement of women in their biomedical careers at UNC
Please join me in congratulating Dr. Brewster and the Center for Women’s Health Research on their acceptance of this responsibility for the School of Medicine.