Attention OIS Clients,
OIS wanted to inform you that we are fielding a new management tool for Microsoft Windows workstations in departments supported by OIS beginning this Monday April 15, 2013. This new tool will install a client agent (Configuration Manager) and new anti-virus software (Endpoint Protection). We will be using automated tools to perform the installation. Only Microsoft Windows workstations that are joined to the domain ad.unc.edu will be affected. We anticipate the rollout to be complete by Monday April 22, 2013.
At a later date, we will be able to field the same agent on Apple Macintosh computers and non-domain Microsoft Windows workstations.
System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
The management tool being installed is Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. This tool will allow OIS to:
1. Perform software and hardware inventorying of your workstations
2. Install and manage the new Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection anti-virus/anti-malware software
3. Generate reports on the workstations in your department
OIS is utilizing Configuration Manager to increase our ability to perform routine management tasks for our customers.
OIS will start by focusing on the Asset Inventory/Management and Anti-virus capabilities. See Future Benefits (Below) section for upcoming features.
Over the next few days you will see new software installed on your department's machines, including:
We are using a process called Group Policy to require machines to install this software on reboot only. So as your team restarts their computers after Monday morning Configuration Manager will be installed automatically.
I’m including screen shots to show what will be installed so that your departmental staff will know that the changes are legitimate, including changes to the Start Menu; ToolTips showing Endpoint Protection; and the Software Center.
Start Menu Changes
This picture shows the two new menu items that will be added to your departmental workstations (highlighted in red).
Endpoint Protection (highlighted)
This image is from the ToolTips section of the menu bar on Microsoft Windows 7 computers. The highlighted shield is the icon for Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection which replaces Symantec Endpoint Protection v. 11.
Software Center Start Menu Item
This item show the Start Menu option to start the Software Center. OIS will not use the Software Center during the initial rollout. OIS will alert you when we will use it to field Software Updates and Application Installation.
In the future we will be using this Configuration Manager to:
1. Field software updates/patches from a variety of software vendors
2. Automate software package installation (e.g. Microsoft Office 2013) using the Software Center
3. Audit workstation configuration to maintain compliance with security policy
4. Generate virus and Trojan alerts to the appropriate IT staff
5. Share reporting capability with our business colleagues to improve the management of IT costs
OIS will keep the you informed as we expand the use of this tool to provide IT support to you. Thank you.