In light of Bernadette Spong’s impending departure to become CFO of Orlando Health, I want to first take the opportunity to thank Bernadette. Bernadette has been a consummate CFO and leader. I cannot adequately express my gratitude for the many contributions she has made to Rex and UNC Health Care. I thank her for her service and will dearly miss her as a colleague and friend. I know I speak for many in wishing her good luck and in sharing how much I will miss her.
The functions reporting to Bernadette are well managed by talented, effective leaders. I have asked each to continue in their roles. To simplify reporting structure, I am pleased to additionally share several interim organizational changes that will become effective July 13, 2015. The changes are as follows:
- Financial Systems Support, led by Bob Hull, will report to Scott Trott, Vice President for Managed Care. Scott will continue to report directly to me.
- UNC Health Care System Corporate Controller John Miller will additionally take on responsibility for Budget, led by Andrea Balog. John will report directly to me.
- Rex Healthcare Director of Health Information Management, Erin Moran-Gunter, will take on the additional role of Interim System Director Revenue Cycle. In this capacity, Erin will have oversight of Charge Description Master, Health Information Management, Patient Financial Services and Patient Access. Erin will report directly to me.
Bernadette has also served in several institutional roles that will be reassigned as follows:
- Matt Castellano, Health Care System IT Director, Business & Revenue Cycle Systems, will chair the Epic@UNC Revenue Cycle Administration Group (RCAG) which reports to the Epic@UNC Steering Committee.
- Steve Rinaldi, CFO at Caldwell Hospital, will be Carolina Value Solution Team lead for Revenue Cycle which reports to the Carolina Value Executive Steering Committee.
I am evaluating whether and how to replace Bernadette’s current role on a more permanent basis. For now the role will remain vacant.
Please join me in thanking these individuals for taking on additional responsibilities. Also, with their help and yours, we will help ensure continuity during this time of transition.
- John Lewis, CFO, UNC Health Care