As Human Resources transitions to support all owned UNC Health Care entities, the UNC Medical Center Employee Recreation department closed effective July 1, 2016. Most services offered through Employee Recreation will continue to be available to employees after July through the Hospitals and University benefits.
Programs that will continue include:
- Employee Exercise Rooms
The Employee Exercise Rooms in the Neurosciences Hospital, Hedrick Building, Eastowne Building 500, and Hillsborough will remain open and be maintained by a contact on-site at each location. Beginning July 1, employees will be able to access these rooms using their ID badge with no orientation required.
- Blood Pressure machines; Employee Smoking Cessation
- Occupational Health will coordinate the maintenance of the Blood Pressure machines in Occupational Health, at the Hedrick Building, and in Eastowne Building 500.
- Employees can sign-up for Smoking Cessation through by contacting the Nicotine Dependence Program at 984-974-8455 or 919-843-1521.
- Employee Holiday Meals; Ice Cream Socials; Employee Service Awards; Plus People Program
Nutrition & Food Services’ Catering team, in coordination with the UNC Medical Center Director’s Office, will organize employee celebrations.
- Employee Lactation Program
The Lactation Services team in the N.C. Women’s Hospital will coordinate the Employee Lactation Program with help from Plant Engineering.
- State Employees’ Combined Campaign (SECC)
The annual SECC will continue under the leadership of a Vice President each year.
- Steppin’ Out Walking Challenge; Employee Health Fairs
- The UNC Wellness Centers will coordinate recruiting employees during the annual ‘Steppin’ Out’ Walking Challenge.
- Employee Health Fairs will continue on a regular basis.
- Holiday Adopt-a-Family Program; Farmer’s Market; Santa Claus Calls
These programs will be coordinated through UNC Hospitals’ Volunteer Services.
- Boshamer Family Day – Free access to UNC Olympic Sports
Employees can use your UNC Health Care ID badge to gain free access to UNC men’s baseball, UNC women’s basketball and other UNC “Olympic sports.” With your ID badge, an employee can get free admittance to a UNC baseball game for themselves and up to three immediate family members.
- Athletic Leagues; Group Exercise Programs
- For $150/year, employees can get a UNC-Chapel Hill Recreation Membership from the One Card office. This membership provides access to gyms, pools, group exercise classes and intramural sports on UNC’s campus for employees only.
- The Women’s Health Information Center provides on-site yoga and Zumba classes each week for employees for a small fee
- Employee Arts & Crafts Fair
As long as employees’ crafts meet the cultural criteria, they can participate in the annual Multicultural Fair each fall.
- Tax Preparation
The State Employees Credit Union (SECU) offers free VITA tax prep services for members earning $55,000 or less. Tax prep services are available for $75 for SECU members earning more than $55,000.
- Discounts and Services
These may now be found in a link on the Human Resources Benefits page. Click Discounts and Services in the listing on the left. Select where your computer is located and proceed to the discounts page. The discounts are from Employee Recreation’s page. Other resources for discounts and services include:
Programs that continue through June 2016 but will be eliminated July 1, 2016:
- Chair Massages
- Employee Photography Contest
- FitLife Exercise Incentive Program
Programs that we plan to continue through June 2016 and into the future if/when an owner is identified:
- Discounts and Services (local companies along with cell phones, banks, etc.).