Hearing aids can be an expensive out-of-pocket expense.
Hearing aids can be an expensive out-of-pocket expense. In an effort to help make hearing health care more accessible, especially to those working in a health care environment, UNC Hospitals is now offering a 15% discount on hearing aids to UNC Hospitals, UNC Faculty Physicians and UNCPN employees. We offer multiple products, styles and brands of hearing aids, with options for any budget.
As health care employees, a disabling hearing loss should not be left untreated as it can impact your comfort and productivity in the work environment. Hearing aids can be a great way to manage hearing loss but many people avoid this option due to financial concerns as most health insurances do not cover the cost of hearing aids.
Technology Level of Hearing Aid Out-of-Pocket Cost (per device) 15% Discount for UNC Employees
- Essential $800-1000 $680-850
- Low/Basic $1000-2000 $850-1700
- Mid/Advanced $2000-2800 $1700-2380
- High/Premium $2800-4000 $2380-3400
(Actual cost of device depends on manufacturer, technology level and style. Cost range listed above is an estimate based on average costs within a given technology level. Exact cost to be expected can be determined at a hearing aid consult appointment with your audiologist. This is for UNCH, UNCFP and UNCPN employees only and not family members.)
Why should I get my hearing aids fit at UNC Hospitals?
- Top 5 Clinic in the UNC Health Care System
- Clinicians awarded the UNC Health Care and Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellence by the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CG-CAHPS).
- We follow evidence-based practices, participate in clinical research, and strive to provide the highest quality audiologic care and services for our patients.
- With six hearing aid audiologists, one hearing aid technician and two doctoral externs, there is now more opportunity than ever for UNC employees to access convenient hearing health care through multiple convenient UNC Hospitals clinics.
- Hearing tests are covered by your BCBS state health plan with possible co-pay depending on your plan.
- For low-income households, UNC Hospitals is a provider of services through the Hear Now Foundation as well as the NC DSDHH Telecommunications Program.
- Our financial counselor is happy to answer any questions regarding potential costs for hearing testing and can be reached at 984-974-2108.
I am interested in exploring hearing aid options. What do I need to do?
- Request an Ambulatory Referral to Audiology order from your physician be sent to EPIC department: UNCH Audiology Chapel Hill Nelson HWY or UNCH Audiology Pittsboro
- Schedule a hearing test by calling 984-974-4479
- Following your hearing test, a hearing aid consultation can be scheduled for an in-depth discussion of your listening goals and determining the best technology, style and brand of hearing aid for you.
We are looking forward to taking care of your hearing loss needs, so give us a call today!