The Associate DIO at UNC Hospitals is a new position reflective of the increasing responsibilities for Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education sponsoring institutions to comply with expanding and rapidly evolving accreditation standards.
We seek internal candidates for the newly created position of Associate Designated Institutional Official (DIO). The detailed job description is below. Applicants should share a statement of interest and their CV to Michelle Howlett by August 8, 2020. Selection will be made by a committee co-chaired by Tom Ivester and Julie Byerley, and will include representatives from both UNC Hospitals and UNC SOM.
The Associate DIO at UNC Hospitals is a new position reflective of the increasing responsibilities for Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) sponsoring institutions to comply with expanding and rapidly evolving accreditation standards. The Associate DIO will serve as an integral member of the Graduate Medical Education (GME) enterprise at UNC Hospitals, providing direct support to the Designated Institutional Official (DIO) and serving as the DIO’s delegate for official ACGME accreditation oversight as needed. This position requires 0.20 FTE effort. Qualifications include MD or DO degree, full UNC Medical Staff credentials in their appropriate specialty, and GME leadership experience, preferably as a residency or fellowship program director. As we seek to further diversify our leadership teams, faculty from groups underrepresented in medicine are especially encouraged to apply.
· Works collaboratively with, and supports the DIO, in all aspects of his/her role in maintaining an optimal Learning and Work Environment at UNC Hospitals, achieving continued full ACGME accreditation, including oversight and monitoring of individual program as well as Institutional accreditation compliance
· Serves as the DIO’s designated official GME representative for UNC Hospitals, making independent and trusted decisions related to the sponsorship of our GME programs on behalf of the DIO when the DIO is unavailable
· Interacts with the ACGME as the DIO’s representative when the DIO is unavailable.
· Serves on the Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC), and is the Chair-designee for the GMEC when the DIO is unavailable
· Serves on the Special Review Committee
· Serves on the Learning and Work Hour subcommittee
· Provides oversight and monitoring of individual program Annual Program Evaluations (APEs)
· Assists in sharing best practices across the GME community around issues such as diversifying the housestaff cohort, managing professionalism issues, remediating deficiencies, etc.
· Other duties and projects as assigned by the DIO