Thank you to the nearly 500 faculty members who took time to attend and actively participate in the UNC School of Medicine’s Annual Faculty Meeting. Recordings from the meeting, including the breakout room sessions, are now available.
Thank you to the nearly 500 faculty members who took time to attend and actively participate in the UNC School of Medicine’s Annual Faculty Meeting, held Oct. 14. Additional thanks to those who shared their feedback on the virtual meeting.
If you were unable to attend, would like to revisit any of the material shared — including recordings from the breakout rooms, please click here to access the recordings.
Due to a technical error, a recording from the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion break out session is not available. Please read this note from Dr. Nate Thomas, Vice Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Thanks to everyone who joined the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion breakout room during our Annual Faculty Meeting. Due to a technical error, we do not have a live recording of this discussion. Our team, however, is so appreciative of the thoughtful questions submitted by our faculty. We want to share with the SOM community some of the topics addressed during the panel:
- Making departments without many URM faculty members attractive to residents from underrepresented backgrounds
- The alignment of the SOM rural and diversity missions
- Ways departments and units can partner with the Office of Inclusive Excellence to get students interested in clinical specialties
- Plans to expand DEI initiatives to our UNC Health partner institutions
- Strategies to help diversify faculty in basic science departments
- Advice for URM junior faculty members who are struggling to find mentors at UNC
To learn more about the work happening around diversity, equity, and inclusion or to get involved, please visit our website: https://www.med.unc.edu/diversity/
Nathan Thomas, PhD
Vice Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion