The purpose of the Ono Initiative is to support scientist Principal Investigators (“PIs”) with creative ideas in selected scientific research fields with the mission of seeking discoveries/solutions and development of high impact science.
Limited Submissions Internal Call for Proposals: Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program
UNC Internal Deadline: 11:59PM, Monday, December 14, 2020
ONO Pharma LOI Due Date: February 18, 2021
Program Description: Ono Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. is a leading global healthcare company committed to delivering new, innovative pharmaceutical products to patients and championing the fight against disease and pain. Ono Pharmaceutical carries out these goals in cooperation with researchers, patients, their families, and healthcare providers.
The Ono Pharma Foundation was established to support academic research in relevant scientific fields, which have the potential of making significant impact on therapeutic approaches to disease and pain management. The Foundation’s competitive awards program, the Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program (“Ono Initiative”), is the embodiment of the Foundation’s commitment to focus on and accelerate researcher-driven open innovation by supporting high-risk and high-reward science research projects which have potential to lead to science discoveries/solutions and, possibly, based on further research, to breakthrough treatments for patients. The Ono Foundation likens its high-risk/high-reward criteria to that of other early-stage Foundations, like the Keck Foundation.
The purpose of the Ono Initiative is to support scientist Principal Investigators (“PIs”) with creative ideas in selected scientific research fields with the mission of seeking discoveries/solutions and development of high impact science. The goals of the Ono Initiative are to:
- Identify and develop innovative research proposals and results that could lead to the development of breakthrough treatment solutions for patients.
- Support academic research and the career development of promising young and mid-career scientists.
- Build strong relationships within the community in order to lead to transformative research aligned with Ono Initiative’s interest.
- The PI must have a MD and/or a PhD degree.
- The PI must be a young and/or mid-career scientist (15 years or below of experience from starting independent academic position).
- The PI may not already be engaged in other sponsored research with Ono Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and/or grant program with Ono Pharma Foundation.
- The PI may not apply for funding to amplify current work. However, PIs may research a new idea based on a prior finding of the PI.
- Proposals should address high-risk and high reward ideas that are current Chemical Biology chokepoints.
Limit on Number of Proposals: 2
Amount per Award: $300,000 per year, totaling a maximum of $900,000 for the normal term of a research project. The Ono Pharma Foundation will provide up to a maximum of an additional 15% ($45,000) per year of the funding to be used for indirect costs of the PI’s institution. The total amount of the three-year grant would be up to $1,035,000. Applications comprising laboratory investigation will be considered.
Duration of Award: Up to 3 years
To Apply: Submit the following (in ONE .pdf) to Limited_Submission@unc.edu by 11:59PM, Monday, December 14, 2020.
- Cover Page: Name, Department, Contact Information, and Project Title
- Vision of the Proposed Research (2 page maximum). The Ono Foundation is looking to only support new and original work.
- PI/Proposed team member’s CV/ NIH Biosketch (five-page maximum)
- Please disclose all grants and awards that are currently received or pending which would be relevant to the Proposed Research.
- List of potential collaborators (internal and external to UNC)
- Names (along with title, department, and email) of three internal (to UNC) experts who could speak knowledgeably about the candidate’s research and who could potentially serve on an internal review panel.
- Please do not include the names of faculty named on the project, chairs, deans, directors, direct reports, or others who have a conflict of interest.
- Please notify all potential internal reviewers before submitting the pre-proposal packet to ORD.
ONO Pharma Website: http://www.onofound.org/initiative/