The CARD role is open to physicians who have an interest in coaching medical students during their clinical years. Interested applicants should be practicing physicians who have a passion for coaching and supporting students. The CARD role involves working as part of an integrated team in the Office of Academic Excellence (OAE), having 1:1 meetings with students, providing group sessions on how to study during the transition to application phase courses. Interested applicants do not need to have
The Office of Academic Excellence will provide training for the Clinical Academic Resource Director (CARD) role. The CARD will work closely with the other UNC-Chapel Hill CARDS, Drs. Kim Nichols and Dr. Kelly Smith, as well as the rest of the OAE team and CARDs at the branch campuses, Drs. Kristin Chally and Michele Birch. Description of role:
- Work as part of the OAE to provide support for students during their clinical years and development of skills during PCC for students who need additional help.
- Identify clinical-year students who need assistance based on low performance flags (LPF), faculty referrals, and student requests. Meet with students to provide coaching/guidance on skills such as: Step 2 CK and Shelf studying, performance of a history and physical, teamwork, professionalism, oral presentations.
- Assist students with preparation and creation of study plans for Step 2 CK and CS. Coaching with students may be a one-time event, or may require ongoing, weekly meetings depending on the students’ needs.
- Refer students to the OAE director if additional ongoing tutoring is needed for shelf or step 2 CK studying. Meet with students who have failed a shelf exam to help identify the causes and create and monitor a plan for continued learning and practice prior to the shelf retake.
- Additional Expectations: Attend twice-monthly Office of Academic Excellence meetings (first and third Thursdays from 10-11:30am) to discuss students who need support, share ideas, and discuss any policies or concerns.
If interested, please send a CV and a cover letter to Dr. Christina Shenvi (email@example.com), Director of the Office of Academic Excellence by 3/5/2021.