Elizabeth Crais, PhD, Speech and Hearing Sciences, received her first kidney transplant in 2004 from colleague, Linda Watson. After 17 years of excellent health and wellness, however, Dr. Crais needed a second transplant, this time for both a kidney and a liver.
On May 26 at UNC, Dr. Elizabeth Crais received a dual kidney-liver transplant from a deceased donor and is very grateful for the gift of life once again. The UNC Transplant Center personnel have supported her throughout the process and she sends her thanks to these fine professionals.
Building on these experiences, Dr, Crais with a colleague and a donor, Carol Offen have written a book about the kidney donation process entitled, The Insider’s Guide to Living Kidney Donation: Everything You Need to Know If You Give (or Get) the Greatest Gift. The book provides all the information anyone needs to make an informed decision about this life-changing act. The Insider’s Guide to Living Kidney Donation offers easily accessible material that demystifies the live-donation process, including
- examining the reasons for donating;
- knowing what to expect before and after the donation;
- describing the specific tests, procedures, and transplant team members involved;
- helping recipients deal with the often-neglected, nonmedical aspects of their experience, such as its impact on the rest of the family; and
- extensive lists of additional resources and terms.
The Insider’s Guide to Living Kidney Donation also features thought-provoking first-person stories of the remarkable process of donation/transplantation, including the authors’ own candid, moving accounts as a donor and a recipient.