The Office of Faculty Affairs and Leadership Development is seeking nominations for faculty to serve on upcoming five-year reviews of department chairs and center directors within the School of Medicine.
In addition to annual reviews, department chairs and center directors receive routine reviews of their leadership once every five years. The Dean’s office manages these reviews within the School of Medicine, and faculty play a critical role in the process. Though faculty are typically selected at random for this opportunity, the Office of Faculty Affairs and Leadership Development is soliciting nominations for faculty to self-nominate or nominate a colleague seeking service opportunities within the SOM for 2022.
Nominations should include the faculty member’s first and last name, and should be sent to email@example.com. Nominations will be accepted on an ongoing basis.
Faculty who serve on review committees can expect:
- A limited time commitment including two meetings (one 30 minute pre-review meeting and one review committee meeting held via Zoom from 8am-3pm), and an additional 2-3 hours to review written materials and draft a summary for a portion of the review report;
- This time commitment occurs over an approximate 30 day period with at least three months’ notice;
- It is crucial that faculty can commit fully to the process to ensure that department chairs and center directors receive a thorough, professional review;
- To gain insight into the responsibilities of department chairs and center directors, how those responsibilities fit into the strategic goals of the UNC School of Medicine, and the expectations for UNC’s departments and centers; and
- To complete and uphold confidentiality as to the specifics and process of any department chair and center director review in which the faculty member will participate.
Contact Morgan Resnick-Kahle, Assistant Director for Faculty Affairs and Leadership Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.