The North Carolina Translational and Clinical Sciences Institute and FastTraCS are partnering with RTI Innovation Advisors—an RTI International business unit that supports innovators who are developing new products, technologies, and services—to conduct early market testing of your UNC technology or concept.
Are you interested in seeing your research or idea in the hands of end users? Are you developing a technology or therapy but have questions about whether it would ever be adopted? Asking these questions early will help your development process, saving you time and resources.
The North Carolina Translational and Clinical Sciences Institute (NC TraCS) and FastTraCS are partnering with RTI Innovation Advisors—an RTI International business unit that supports innovators who are developing new products, technologies, and services—to conduct early market testing of your UNC technology or concept. To access the MTP, you must apply and be selected into the program. MTP benefits may include, but not limited to:
- Identifying and engaging key opinion leaders (KOLs) on your behalf
- Obtaining market insights and feedback from potential end users
- Exploring and engaging potential industry partners
- Support from the RTI Innovation Advisors in applying the market findings to shape your research, concept, and/or idea
Access to the RTI Innovation Advisors Market Testing Program will be provided on a competitive basis. Competitive applications will demonstrate a well-defined problem and related technology or conceptual solution. In addition, applications with a clear need for market testing and defined plans for incorporating the market findings into their project next steps will be prioritized.
To submit your application, follow this link (https://forms.gle/zPcHfFASqpqRqHGW8). The application includes the following sections:
- Unmet Need (200 words or less)
- Briefly describe the problem or unmet need.
- Include a brief description of the problem, who is affected and targeted outcome(s).
- Solution or Technology (200 words or less)
- Describe the solution as it is envisioned and how it will address your unmet need.
- In detail, describe the underlying technology or therapy, which supports or enables a new product or service.
- Include any relevant details if you’ve worked with the Office of Technology Commercialization, including Report of Invention, patent applications, etc.
- Target Market (200 words or less)
- Briefly describe the market for the product or service.
- Include information on potential customers and a brief market description.
- Key Market Unknowns (200 words or less)
- Describe the key unknowns and what you hope to obtain from MTP support
- Explain how these findings will influence your project or innovation.
- Communications/Marketing June 24–July 11, 2022
- Application Window: July 11–July 22, 2022
- Application Review: July 25–August 5, 2022
- Final Interview Round: Week of August 8th
- MTP Awardees Announced: Week of August 15th
- Target Project Kickoff: Week of August 29th
- The Market Testing Program is open to any currently affiliated faculty, staff, or student at UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Solutions should be limited to medical devices, combination products, diagnostics, therapeutics, or digital health technologies.
- Priority will be given to applicants developing intellectual property (IP) owned by UNC-CH and/or disclosed to UNC-CH in the form of a Report of Invention (ROI). (If the IP resides at NCSU as part of the BME department, the applicant must provide information on the IP (ROIs, patent applications, etc.) to UNC-CH Office of Technology Commercialization. It is the applicant’s responsibility to notify OTC staff prior to making the application to ensure the IP is in good standing (proper ROI, fillings, etc.).
MTP awardees will have direct access to the RTI Innovation Advisors and receive support that is customized to your project and innovative solution. This support and engagement will last approximately 3-4 months. Awardees will be expected to participate in the following activities:
- Kick-off Meeting – to review key market unknowns and finalize the MTP project scope.
- Interview Guide Development – to review and/or co-develop an interview guide for market concept testing.
- Interim Meetings (approx. 1-2) – to review and learn from market findings as market testing interviews progress.
- Final Report – to absorb the MTP project final report of market findings. Awardees are expected to come to the final meeting with an open mind and ready to integrate MTP results into your next steps towards patient and clinical impact. During this final meeting, you will receive a synthesized report of relevant market learnings, review RTI Innovation Advisors recommendations on next steps, and discuss your plan for integrating these findings into your research, concept, and/or idea, which may include how these findings will impact your innovation’s development and milestones.