The assistant dean for student affairs provides leadership for all student affairs matters including career advising, academic assistance, student progress, financial aid, registration, and academic events. This individual will also work collaboratively with the entire Offices of Medical Student Education at UNC-Chapel Hill, educational leaders, and team members at regional campuses. Applications are due Friday, Oct. 7.
The University of North Carolina School of Medicine (SOM) seeks an innovative, collaborative leader to serve as the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs in the Offices of Medical Student Education. This position reports directly to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
The Assistant Dean for Student Affairs provides leadership for all student affairs matters including career advising, academic assistance, student progress, financial aid, registration, and academic events. The Assistant Dean will work closely with the Associate Dean for Student Affairs and the Senior Director for Student Affairs to provide optimal support, services, and resources for medical students across all phases of the medical school curriculum. This individual will also work collaboratively with the entire Offices of Medical Student Education at UNC-Chapel Hill, educational leaders, and team members at regional campuses.
The Assistant Dean of Student Affairs will be responsible for assisting with the development and organization of an office that fosters a safe and supportive learning environment for all students in the Offices of Medical Student Education.
The Assistant Dean will be responsible for the following areas:
1) Career advising / advisory colleges / residency match
2) Academic assistance / Office of Academic Excellence
3) Student progress and promotions / Student Progress Committee (SPC)
4) Learning environment / Director of the Learning Environment
5) Academic events (e.g., orientation, Match Day, commencement)
6) Financial aid
7) Health and safety
4) Registrar services and student records / visiting students
- MD, DO, PhD with leadership experience in medical school student affairs
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience in student affairs
- Effective communication and organizational skills
- Excellent skills to work collaboratively and act deliberately in sensitive situations and strong conflict management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to advance a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion; ability to work with and support a diverse student body
- Demonstrated ability to lead and to develop professional staff teams
Consideration of internal candidates will begin immediately. We invite all interested candidates to submit application materials to Courtney Sola (Courtney.Sola@unchealth.unc.edu) by Oct. 7, 2022. A committee chaired by Kurt Gilliland, PhD will review and interview the candidates. Women and individuals identifying as underrepresented are encouraged to apply.
Application materials to submit:
- 1 page cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Brief documentation that the candidate’s Department chair is aware of the applicant’s interest in this position and will agree to their time and effort for this role if selected. We anticipate that this position will require 40% FTE.
- Kurt Gilliland, PhD – Chair of the Search Committee, Associate Professor, Department of Cell Biology & Physiology, Associate Dean for Foundational Curriculum
- Mary Hauser, PhD – Senior Director of Curricular Affairs
- Marcia Hobbs, PhD – Professor, Department of Medicine and Department of Microbiology and
- Claire Larson, MD – Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
- John B. “J.B.” Lykes, MD – Associate Campus Director, Wake Campus, Pediatric Primary Care,
WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- Randee Reid – Director of Admissions
- Sandy Whitlock, MD – Assistant Dean and Associate Program Director, UNC School of Medicine
Asheville Campus; Clinical Associate Professor of Internal Medicine, UNC School of Medicine