2023 UNC TEACCH Autism Program Conference – Diversity in Autism
October 12 @ 8:00 am - October 13 @ 3:30 pm$175 – $315
This year’s UNC TEACCH Autism Program Conference focuses on understanding and supporting diversity among autistic individuals and their families including neurodiversity and diversity in gender, race, ethnicity, and communication.
The following topics and speakers will be featured at this year’s conference:
- Authentic Engagement: Strategies to Include and Support Neurodiverse Individuals in Research and Practice
- Co-Presented by Teal Benevides, PhD, MS, OTR/L, FAOTA, Augusta University, and Stephen Shore, EdD, Adelphi University
- Interventions and Outcomes Across the Spectrum: Diverse Needs Require Diverse Solutions
- Tony Charman, PhD, Kings College London
- Perspectives of Black Families on Navigating Autism Services
- Moderated by Christina Corsello Orahovats, PhD, UNC Chapel Hill
- Accelerating our Understanding of Females on the Autism Spectrum
- Clare Harrop, PhD, UNC Chapel Hill
- Creating Culturally Tailored Interventions for Latino Parents of Children with Autism and Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Sandy Magaña, PhD, MSW, University of Texas
- The Common Intersection of Gender Identity Diversity and Autism-Related Neurodiversity
- John Strang, PsyD, Children’s National Medical Center
- Reaching (Neuro)Diverse Learners through Universal Design and Beyond
- TC Waisman, EdD, MA, Autism Training Academy
At the completion of the conference, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the diversity of autism symptom presentation and the need for services to fit the unique needs of the entire autism spectrum.
- Recognize the need for equity in services for autistic individuals with diversity in gender, race, and ethnicity.
Conference Dates and Times
Thursday, October 12, 2023 8:30 AM – 4:15 PM
Friday, October 13, 2023 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
Virtual and on-site attendance options will be available. On-site attendees will join us at the University of North Carolina Friday Conference Center. For those joining virtually, a Zoom webinar option is available. Virtual registrants will receive an event meeting link and additional instructions one week prior to the event. The conference will NOT be recorded for on-demand viewing.
UNC Friday Conference Center – 100 Friday Center Drive – Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1020 – USA
The target audience includes a range of professionals involved in the clinical care and education of autistic individuals across the lifespan, researchers in the field of autism, and autistic individuals and their family members.
Continuing Education Credit Offerings
Eastern Area Health Education Center (EAHEC) will offer Continuing Education Credit in the following categories:
- 10.25 Contact Hours
- 10.25 Contact Hours (category A) CE for NC Psychologists
- 1.0 ASHA CEUs, Professional Area, Intermediate Level
In-Person Attendance: Sunday, October 8, 2023
Virtual Attendance: Thursday, October 12, 2023
To register, click here
UNC Friday Center
100 Friday Center Drive
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599