- This event has passed.
Eating Disorders in Males
January 28 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Webinar Description: This webinar will provide an overview of the state of research related to eating disorders in males. Topics will include prevalence of eating disorders, clinical presentations, causal theories, and identification, assessment, and treatment of eating disorders in males. Additionally, attention will be paid to developmental stage, with research presented on males from youth to midlife.
- Describe rates of eating disorders in males.
- Compare clinical presentations and symptoms pictures of eating disorders for males and females.
- Discuss recommendations for identifying, assessing, and treating males with eating disorders.
Takeaways/highlights for Primary Care Providers:
- Eating disorders in males are underdiagnosed and may present differently than for females.
- Males with eating disorders are often late in seeking treatment due to stigma or not recognizing their behaviors as symptoms of an eating disorder.
- The role of striving for muscularity should be considered in assessing eating disorder symptoms in males.