The upgrade will affect Cisco wireless “Nurse Call” phones. Telecommunications will send a mass notification to all of the Cisco wireless phones a few minutes prior to the time we start taking those phones out of service. Nursing units should activate their down-time procedures once this message is sent.
Phone calls and text messages sent from the nurse-call system will not be transmitted during the time the Cisco phone is out of service. Telecommunications will send another mass message to all wireless phones once it has re-activated the phones and service is back up. At that time, nursing units can go back to standard nurse-call operating procedures.
The following locations using Cisco phones are identified as “critical,” and a subset of existing phones in these areas will retain functionality during the upgrade window (6:30 p.m. Dec. 4 through 2 a.m. Dec. 5):
- Hospital Operators - 919-966-4131
- Bone Marrow Inpatient Unit - 919-966-7792
- Inpatient Pharmacy - 919-966-8761
- Oncology Inpatient Unit - 919-966-1661
- Help Desk - 919-966-5647
- WakeBrook – All Inpatient Units
All other colleagues with Cisco phones can expect the following issues during the 6:30 p.m. Dec. 4 – 1 a.m. Dec. 5 upgrade window:
- Intermittent disruption of phone services (internal and external calls may not be available)
- Limited voicemail availability for personal and departmental lines
- Phones may appear to lose power and reboot during this timeframe
- Intermittent disruption of fax services
- Intermittent disruption of application services such as:
- T-Metrics - Automatic Call Distribution System
- ASCOM Unite - Application that integrates wireless phones with Nurse Call System
- Voicemail System
- Emergin - Delivers alerts to nursing staff on Cisco VoIP phones for patient monitoring.
If you have problems contacting someone the night of Dec. 4 and the morning of Dec. 5, please be patient and try to reach them either by cell phone, email, or wait a few minutes and try again.
If, at the start of business the next morning (Wednesday, Dec. 6), your Cisco phone is not operating properly, please call our Telecommunications help line at 919-966-2354.
Thank you for your patience as we make this upgrade.