As part of the 5 Children’s Protective Environment Unit Construction Project, a 500-ton crane and a 210-ton crane will arrive and be located at the Front Entrance of UNC Hospitals on Friday, April 6, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. The cranes will remain on-site throughout the entire weekend. Due to the 200-foot lift radius of the crane, there will be limited and restricted access upon arriving at UNC Hospitals.
Location change for patient drop off/pickup
Location change for employee drop off/pickup
Revised operating hours for the Terrace and Corner Cafes
Areas affected are as follows:
Closed or limited access
- Memorial Hospital entrance – CLOSED TO VEHICULAR TRAFFIC
- Children’s Hospital entrance – CLOSED
- Children’s Hospital Information Desk – CLOSED
- Women’s Hospital entrance – CLOSED
- Cancer Hospital Entrance at Neurosciences Hospital– CLOSED
- Cancer Hospital Entrance near Starbucks main entrance – CLOSED
- Cancer Hospital Courtyard on Basement Level – CLOSED
- Concourse between Women’s and Memorial – CLOSED.
- Click here for a map of the affected area and the modified pedestrian traffic path through the hospital.
- Hospital Drive – CLOSED
- The one way entrance on Hospital Drive will be closed so that tractor trailer trucks carrying the mechanical roof top unit, mechanical ductwork, and crane assembly parts and pieces can stage the assembly of the crane. This will also be the location the crane performs the lift of this equipment. Visitors will use the Patient/Visitor parking deck.
- The handicapped parking lot in front of Memorial Hospital – CLOSED
- Handicapped parking spaces will be available in the patient/visitors parking deck.
- Terrace Café – CLOSED
- Women’s and Children’s Elevators W/C 10, W/C 11, and W/C 12 – CLOSED
Modified traffic flows
- Manning Dr. level entrance of the Cancer Hospital will be used as the primary patient pick-up
- The Emergency Department entrance can also be used as needed for patient pick-up.
- Memorial Hospital entrance – OPEN for Pedestrian Traffic ONLY
- Pedestrians may enter the hospital using the Memorial Hospital entrance, but it will be closed to vehicular traffic.
- Cancer Hospital Entrance near Cancer Hospital Information Desk – OPEN
- Cancer Hospital Entrance near Pharmacy – OPEN
- Cancer Hospital Information Desk – OPEN
- Memorial Hospital Information Desk – OPEN
- Women’s Hospital Information Desk will be OPEN.
- Skybridge “A” can be used for pedestrian traffic to enter Memorial Hospital. This is the pedestrian bridge from the parking deck to the Dental Clinic.
- Skybridge “B” can be used for pedestrian traffic to enter Memorial Hospital. This is the pedestrian bridge from the patient/visitors (Dogwood) parking deck to Memorial Hospital.
- Skybridge “C” can be used for pedestrian traffic to enter Cancer Hospital. This is the pedestrian bridge from the patient/visitors parking (Dogwood) deck to the Cancer Hospital.
Maps of affected areas
NOTE: INCLEMENT WEATHER RE-SCHEDULE WEEKEND WILL BE APRIL 13 – 15, 2018
The points of contact are:
Cleo Robinson (UNCH Project Manager): (919) 883-6148
Curt Mulhollen (Superintendent) – Monteith Construction: (252) 939-0935
Philip Nesheim (Project Manager) – Monteith Construction: (919) 628-8976
Plant Engineering: (984) 974-0320 – 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. or (984) 974-0300 – All Other Times