Three UNC Health hospitals have been named among the best in the world according to Newsweek’s “World’s Best Hospitals 2023” rankings: UNC Hospitals, UNC Health Rex and UNC Health Johnston.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Three UNC Health hospitals have been named among the best in the world according to Newsweek’s “World’s Best Hospitals 2023” rankings. They include:
- UNC Hospitals (Chapel Hill, NC)
- UNC Health Rex (Raleigh, NC)
- UNC Health Johnston (Smithfield, NC)
This year, Newsweek ranked over 2,300 hospitals in 28 countries. For the first time, they ranked all top 250 global hospitals.
The goal of the rankings is to provide a data-based comparison of hospital reputation and performance across countries that is useful to patients and families seeking the best care for themselves and loved ones, as well as to hospitals as they benchmark themselves against their peers.
More than 80,000 medical experts were invited to take the survey. Hospital evaluations are based on four data sources:
- Hospital recommendations from peers – Online survey among tens of thousands of doctors, healthcare professionals and hospital managers;
- Patient experience – Survey of patient satisfaction with hospitalization;
- Hospital quality metrics – Medical indicators such as data on quality of care for treatments, hygiene measures, patient safety, and waiting times;
- Patient-Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) – Online survey on implementation and use of PROMs in hospitals (optional). PROMs are defined as standardized, validated questionnaires completed by patients to measure their perception of their functional well-being and quality of life.
About UNC Health
UNC Health is a state entity and an affiliated enterprise of the University of North Carolina system, comprised of 15 hospitals, 19 hospital campuses and more than 900 clinics along with the clinical patient care programs of the UNC School of Medicine (SOM).
It exists to improve the health and well-being of North Carolinians and others we serve and to further the teaching mission of the University of North Carolina SOM. UNC Health provided more than $141 million in Charity Care in fiscal year 2022, and more than $522 million over the last five years. Our hospitals have received numerous awards and recognition for quality care, patient safety and the overall patient experience. For more information, please visit unchealth.org.