The CARD role is open to physicians who have an interest in coaching medical students during their clinical years.
Clinical Academic Resource Director Role
FTE 0.2 to UNC limit
The CARD role is open to physicians who have an interest in coaching medical students during their clinical years. Interested applicants should be practicing physicians who have a passion for coaching and supporting students. The CARD role involves working as part of an integrated team in the Office of Academic Excellence (OAE), having 1:1 meetings with students, and providing group sessions on how to study during the transition to application phase courses. Interested applicants do not need to have existing expertise in test-taking or study resources. The OAE will provide training for the CARD role. The CARD will work closely with the other UNC-Chapel Hill and branch campus CARDS. Description of role:
1. Work as part of the OAE to provide support for students during their clinical years and development of skills during PCC for students who need additional help.
2. Identify clinical-year students who need assistance based on low performance flags, faculty referrals, and student requests. Meet with students to provide coaching/guidance on skills such as: Step 2 and Shelf studying, performance of a history and physical, teamwork, professionalism, oral presentations.
3. Assist students with preparation and creation of study plans for Step 2. Coaching with students may be a one-time event, or may require ongoing, weekly meetings depending on the students’ needs.
4. Refer students to the OAE director if additional ongoing tutoring is needed for shelf or step 2 CK studying. Meet with students who have failed a shelf exam to help create and monitor a plan for continued learning and practice prior to the shelf retake.
5. Additional Expectations: Attend twice-monthly Office of Academic Excellence meetings (first and third Thursday mornings) to discuss students who need support, share ideas, and discuss any policies or concerns.
If interested, please send a CV and a cover letter to Dr. Christina Shenvi (email@example.com), Director of the Office of Academic Excellence by 10/15/2022.