This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) encourages applications for Diabetes Research Center grants to support research in diabetes mellitus and its complications, and in related areas of endocrinology and metabolism.
Limited Submissions Internal Call for Proposals: NIH Diabetes Research Center
UNC Internal Deadline: 11:59PM, Monday, February 8, 2021
NIH LOI Deadline: April 20, 2021
NIH Full Proposal Deadline: May 20, 2021
Number of Applications per Institution: 1
Award Budget: Application budgets are limited to $1,000,000 per year in direct costs unless the applicant organization proposes to provide regional or national services as described in the NIH FOA.
Program Description: This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) encourages applications for Diabetes Research Center grants to support research in diabetes mellitus and its complications, and in related areas of endocrinology and metabolism.
The prevalence of diabetes mellitus in the United States accounts for a huge national burden of morbidity, mortality, and health care expenditures. The mission of the Diabetes Research Centers is to serve as a key component of the NIDDK-supported research effort to develop new therapies and improve the health of Americans with, or at risk for, diabetes and related endocrine and metabolic disorders. The Centers promote new discoveries and enhance scientific progress through support of cutting-edge basic and clinical research related to the etiology and complications of diabetes, with the goal of rapidly translating research findings into novel strategies for the prevention, treatment and cure of diabetes and related conditions.
To accomplish this mission, the Diabetes Research Centers:
- Create an environment that supports important and innovative research;
- Attract and retain early stage investigators and investigators new to diabetes research;
- Provide core services that leverage funding and unique expertise;
- Foster interdisciplinary collaborations, especially in emerging areas of research, to catalyze new ideas and scientific approaches;
- Raise awareness and interest in fundamental and clinical diabetes research at their institutions, as well as locally, regionally, and nationally;
- Promote the translation of scientific discoveries from bench to bedside to community in order to improve public health; and
- Enhance diabetes research education and training opportunities for patients, students, scientists, and clinicians.
To Apply: Submit the following (in ONE .pdf) to Limited_Submission@unc.edu by 11:59PM, Monday, February 8, 2021.
- PI/ Team members NIH-formatted biosketch
- Project Summary (four-page maximum)
- List of potential collaborators (internal and external to UNC)
- Names (along with title, department, and email) of three internal (to UNC) experts who could speak knowledgeably about the candidate’s research and who could potentially serve on an internal review panel.
- Please do not include the names of faculty named on the project, chairs, deans, directors, direct reports, or others who have a conflict of interest
- Please notify all potential internal reviewers before submitting the pre-proposal
packet to ORD
Full NIH Solicitation: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-DK-20-025.html
Please contact the Limited Submissions Team with questions at Limited_Submission@unc.edu